SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:02:23 +0200
Hi,

sorry for the late answer. Anyway, our figures aren't quite as impressive
as the CERN ones ;-) Notice these are for DESY's Zeuthen site only,
and that the Hamburg site is considerably larger.

>  o site size
>    - number of users administered

Some 600, about 250 of them are typically active.

>    - number of hosts administered

Some 400 linux systems. Most of them are desktops, compute nodes or
servers (file/web/nis/ldap/....), but there are some more exotic setups
like the system for reading out the radiation monitor data of the photon
injector, using the same basic setup as the others.

75% are running SL now, the rest hopefully will soon.

>  o hetereogeneous hardware

Inevitably. Anything from a 233 MHz PII to 8 GB dual Opteron 250 running
64-bit SL. Ia64 might become attractive next year. NB hardware support
IMHO is *not* a good promotional argument for SL/RHEL. There's some
pretty common hardware that's not supported although GPL'd drivers are
available (3ware 9k on SL3, NICs on Intel desktop boards on both SL3&4).

>  o heterogeneous networks/compatibility with other
>    Unices/Windows/etc.

We have Solaris and Windows around. Compatibility is getting worse,
but also less and less important.

>  o Features deployed
>    - kerberos

Yes, Heimdal Server (still running on Solaris). Clients have Heimdal and
MIT libraries installed.

>    - afs

Yes, a few dozen TB, most of them now hosted on linux servers. DB servers
ares still running on Solaris. AFS is used for all Unix home directories.

>    - single-sign-on

Only between linux and solaris (same krb5 realm). We have a DESY-wide user
registry that pushes password changes to AD and krb5, but that's it.

>    - cluster/gfs

Not yet. I'm afraid we'll need a parallel filesystem for the compute nodes
in the future, but I'm not sure GFS would be the right choice.

>    - etc
>
> Would some of the major players (Cern, FermiLab, IfH Zeuthen) want to

I'm flattered ;-)

> present their usage of SL, which could be put at the Website?

Answering this way does not mean I object to Troy's proposal of
putting some information up on the SL site.

Cheers,
 	Stephan

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |