SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:43:51 -0500
Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 03:12:44PM -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>>Axel Thimm wrote:

..trimmed..

>>Hi Axel,
>>It looks like you have everything as far as I can tell.  I don't think
>>anyone could install from that tree ... but it certainly would make yum
>>and apt transactions much easier.
>

> You mean an anaconda net-install? (I hope) that's covered with the
> mirror under http://dl.atrpms.net/mirrors/scientific/.
>

>>On a related note.  It looks like you are still moving things around,
>>but where do you see the S.L. 3.x and 4.x compatible atrpms ending up
>>at?  To me they look like they are at
>>
>>http://dl.atrpms.net/el3-i386/atrpms/
>>
>>and their comparable arch and distro places.  Is this where we should
>>mirror?  Or do you see them changing to a different places such as
>>
>>http://dl.atrpms.net/sl3-i386/atrpms/
>

> Yes, you are right. The proper thing to do is to keep them under both
> (a hardlinked copy) to allow mirrorers to pick the desired distros
> easier instead of hunting them through the layout.
>
> I'll fix this for atrpms and upcoming dag etc subdirs.
>
> Does the layout otherwise make sense? It is still not in production in
> the sense that it hasn't been officially announced other than on
> atrpms-devel. I wouldn't really like to make any drastic changes
> shortly before going public though.

Yes, I think the layout makes sense.
I think I'll just hold off on mirroring it until your done with all the
changes.

> It cannot be used for anaconda net installs, because anaconda does
> have some strict requirements on the layout and only supports one
> repo. But if the plans/rumors on anaconda going yum turn out to become
> real, I hope that any yum repo will be anaconda plugable :)

That would be awsome and bizarre at the same time.  Because you
potentially could install atrpm's, or dag's rpm's ... our the Fermi site
rpm's, while doing a regular install.  The potential makes my little
head swim. :)

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468