SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2005

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:15:25 +0200
On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 10:17, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to argument on using SL as a distribution for a university's
> base infrastructure. Perhaps others would also need some "marketing
> materials" for similar purposes. The usual questions like target
> group, support, comptibility etc are not the problem, more the
> reference large site installations, like
>
>   o site size
>     - number of users administered

about 15k (AFS) users registered on the main interactive Linux cluster

>     - number of hosts administered

about 4k visible (2k in computer center, rest desktops/desk-side
servers), and some hundreds more in private networks. Plus
non-centrally-managed Linux machines.

>   o hetereogeneous hardware

Mostly ia32, but in various roles (embedded/VMEbus boards, desktops,
laptops, CPU servers, special-purpose servers (disk/tape etc). Some
(~100) ia64, and x86_64 are creeping into the site as well.

>   o heterogeneous networks/compatibility with other
>     Unices/Windows/etc.

Not too much of an issue here, we have mostly Web services, some
application gateways (Exceed->Linux, rdesktop->Windows), and Openoffice
is usually 'good enough' for document compatibility.

>   o Features deployed
>     - kerberos

Yes (Krb5 server-side, clients still a mix of Krb4 and Krb5)

>     - afs

Yes, but not ubiquitous on Windows machines (which use DFS)

>     - single-sign-on

Not really (ssh+Kerberos between Linux/Unix machines)

>     - cluster/gfs

Not really, we have mostly loosely connected clusters, some FC-setups.
Cluster FS are being tested from time to time (i.e. IBM StorageTank,
Lustre) but not in production.

Not sure about the format in which you want this, hope this gives some
of the info you need.
Regards
jan