SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:15:50 -0500
Benjamin Sher wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> I am still struggling with the FTP issue in SL. I tried to get KGet to work.
> It just spins in the taskbar but won't open. I could really use an FTP client
> to connect me to my web sites. Is there any reason why KGet doesn't work. Is
> this connected with the apt-get issue? That is, with the fact that I can't
> get apt-get to download anything, especially synaptic.
>
> Hope you can help.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Benjamin

Is your network working?  And if it is, are you behind some type of
firewall that isn't letting ftp through?
try
   ping ftp.scientificlinux.org
   lftp ftp.scientificlinux.org

and see if both of them succeed.  Be sure to do an 'ls' when you ftp to
ftp.scientificlinux.org because I've sometimes seen the ftp client
pretend that it's connected when it really isn't.

Can you send the output of those commands.

Thanks
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468