SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:30:20 +0100
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, mehmet turkoglu wrote:

> Windows can just eat your grub loader at MBR(master Boot Record) if you
> re-install windows for some reasons.

Sure.  Didn't you read what you quoted? -

> On 6/21/05, Filippo Cattaneo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[...]
> > The caveat: first read how to restore the NT (XP) bootselector and
> > bootloader, just in case you mess up a bit. Also, even if you have
> > separate
> > HDs, DO A PROPER BACKUP! I don't backup anything on purpose anymore, but I
> > have a decent standing backup policy and I lucked into never losing a byte
> > of useful data in a Linux install.

But actually, the GRUB installer will do a pretty good job of working
out what's there, and replacing the Win-only MBR with a GRUB MBR
afterwards.  Keeping a GRUB recovery disk(ette) could be a useful
option, but in my experience it isn't essential.

Booting Knoppix from CD is a fine recovery technique, as another
contributor to the list already said.  GRUB can be re-installed from
there.