SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
Filippo Cattaneo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:47:09 +0200
Alan wrote:
I've got into the habit of configuring the linux
partitions by hand using fdisk, which creates an acceptable partition
table, and then telling the installer to use those instead, rather
than allowing the linux installer to partition the disk itself.

Benjamin, these are very wise words!

If you never did it before I suggest you get any form of Live CD type of
Linux and experiment with partitioning and perhaps even formatting the spare
HD before you install SL.

Partition Magic was necessary when it was the only tool for shrinking XP's
NTFS partitions without losing data.  Now the partitioning tools of some
other distros' installers do that - and it's not your case anyway.  I never
used PM, and reading the rants I am glad I never did.

For a full-fledged system on CD the obvious choice is Knoppix
(www.knoppix.org/ , English language community support at www.knoppix.net/).
For a servicing-focused CD I suggest System Rescue CD
(http://www.sysresccd.org/).  If you have a yearning for pure text
servicing, try the wonder floppy "tomsrtbt" (www.toms.net).

All of the above have the basic "fdisk".  The CDs also contain more polished
tools like cfdisk and qt_parted. The CDs should also allow you to format a
partition as "vfat", which XP will understand, to be used as a common ground
between the two.