SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
"Steven J. Yellin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven J. Yellin
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:48:26 -0700
    You may be having trouble getting an answer because you have not
provided clear information about your problem.  Did you partition the disk
with, say, fdisk?  Did you build a filesystem on it with, say, mke2fs?
Did you set the protections on the filesystem with, say, chmod so that the
user is allowed to write on it?  If the answers to all these are yes,
maybe it would help to send the output of "fdisk -l".  Are you writing
with comands like "mv" or "cp", or are you writing with "dd"?  If it's
"dd", did you set the protections on /dev/<whatever it's called> to allow
the user to write to it?  What does the computer say is the problem when
you are "having problems to copy anything on it as user"?

Steven Yellin