SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
Erik Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:59:04 -0600
Hi all,

Here in my department, we break errata up into 3 groups:

Monthly: For things that require either an X-Windows restart, or a
          system restart.  Happens on the first Tuesday of the month.
Weekly:  Pretty much anything else.  Happens every Tuesday.
Daily:   Emergency items to push out.  Rarely used.

I've always been of the feeling that you only need to reboot when
there's a kernel upgrade (perhaps glibc, too?), and that you only need
to restart X when there's an upgrade to x.org.

I want to ask: how true is this?  Is it safe to do a gnome, dbus, etc
(Normally I'd put these in the 'weekly' repository) upgrade while the
user is logged in, and we don't know when they'll log out next?  I
wonder about settings, etc getting corrupted as a result of this, as
well as erratic behavior.

The above system has served us well in the past, but as we're rolling
out SL4, I just want to make sure that I'm doing it as best as I can.

Thanks for any insights & tips,
Erik.

--
e r i k   w i l l i a m s o n                     [log in to unmask]
  system admin . department of computer science . university of calgary