SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
"Paul A. Rombouts" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul A. Rombouts
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:20:46 +0200
Jaroslaw Polok wrote:
 > Robert Haines wrote:
>> Some searching on google has yielded the suggestion of installing the
>> compat-gcc packages, but I can't find too much solid information about
>> these things. Is it safe to just install them?
>

> The compat packages are designed to be installed in parallel
> with current versions, so yes.

> Instead of calling gcc or g++ in your Makefile you shall use:
>
> /usr/bin/i386-redhat-linux7-c++ or
> /usr/bin/i386-redhat-linux-gcc

I am trying to build a customized kernel package on a SL 4.0 system for
a machine running SL 3.0.4 that has very limited RAM and hard disk
space. The kernel-2.4.21 source package didn't compile with gcc 3.4,
apparently it needs gcc 3.2. I tried again after installing
compat-gcc-32, but the build process hit another snag because the
tradcpp0 executable was missing from compat-gcc-32.

Using rpm.pbone.net to find what provided tradcpp0 I located a gcc32
package from Fedora Core 1 that solved my compilation problems.

Now I understand that leaving out tradcpp0 was a decision by Red Hat and
not the Scientific Linux distributors, but I wonder how hard it is to
fix this and roll your own compat-gcc packages.

Any helpful comments and advice relating to building (kernel) packages
for a different distribution than installed on the build host would also
  be welcome.

--
Paul Rombouts