SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:44:55 -0500
Looking at Axel's repository, it's got alot more drivers than just the
intel firmware.  Now that he's ported it to RHEL 3 and 4 (thank you very
much Axel) we're going to mirror his repo over on
ftp.scientificlinux.org, and make it so you just install this (and
hopefully other drivers) easily with yum or apt.

Troy

p.s. This will probrubly take a couple days to setup, so don't go
rushing to the ftp server right now.

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:37:26AM -0500, Connie Sieh wrote:
>
>>I found that "the upstream vendor" includes this firmware on their
>>"extras" cd.  The "extras" cd contains "licensed" software such as Java
>>and flashplayer .
>>
>>I think it would be good if we got some of these wrapper scripts.  I have
>>been discussing the idea with Troy.  Just need to have some make them or
>>"borrow" the SuSE ones.
>

> For ipw2x00 firmwares: If you package the firmware according to the
> license (include the license where the firmware files are deposited)
> there is nothing wrong with shipping it, i.e. it becomes freely
> distributable. IANAL, but I asked Intel on this and they clarified it
> accordingly. It was also recently discussed on the list with the same
> conclusion.
>
> You can pick-up the packages at ATrpms and rebuild them (that's what
> RHEL4 did), or create a new package that will copy over LICENSE to
> /lib/firmware/ipw2200-LICENSE.txt
>
> See also
>
> http://dl.atrpms.net/production/sources/common/atrpms/ipw2200-firmware-2.2.spec
> http://dl.atrpms.net/testing/sources/common/atrpms/ipw2200-firmware.spec
>
> (the latter is for ipw2200 >= 1.0.4. 1.0.x where x != 0 are the
> interim development releases of ipw2200).
>
> If you pick up the ATrpms' packages and want to trim anything
> non-SL4 releated, just remove the creation of the compatibility
> symlinks (that are needed for older hotplug/firmware loading
> mechanisms).
>

>>-Connie Sieh
>>
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Shane Canon wrote:

>>>This is something I've noticed SuSE does a better job at.  They
>>>typically include shell scripts that download and install firmware,
>>>fonts, and other funky-licensed stuff.
>>>
>>>It would be interesting to construct a similar mechanism and put it in
>>>the contrib area.
>>>
>>>- --Shane

>>>Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)
>>>Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>>>
>>>iD4DBQFCpv7GZd/2zrI5CioRAvmWAKCSbov6HRjiDrS94H2JB4MObTf1HQCYkj1v
>>>8y84epYnJGZCs+tJsGO+1g==
>>>=66Kf

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468