SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:50:30 -0400
I have a brand new machine (a dual Opteron) that runs off of SATA
disks.  It has a Silicon Image 3114 SCSI RAID controller.

When I run the machine, my dmesg fills up with the following message:

> hda: status error: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hda: status error: error=0x00
> hda: ATAPI reset complete

Sinec this message often indicated a failing drive, I replaced the hard
drive with a SATA drive of a different brand that I had in my
cabinet-o-parts.  I get the same message.

Is there anything special that any of you all have had to do to make the
sil3114 work properly with SL4?  Is there another driver that needs to
be installed -- or a kernel parameter that will set the driver to a less
agressive setting?

Thanks,
-Luke

P.S. The lspci program shows the following output:

--

Luke Scharf, Systems Administrator
Virginia Tech Aerospace and Ocean Engineering