SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:29:31 -0400
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>>I have heard that Apt is better than Yum, is this true?
>
> That's like saying vi is better than emacs, or vice versa.

Definitely vice versa! <ducks>.

>> Does anyone know how I could create an apt repository in my hard-disk from
>> the  SL installation CDs ( just for me )?
>
> I'm sure someone does.  Since I don't use apt, I don't.

Look for the program "genpkglist" from Conectiva (original porters of
apt to rpm).  This makes the Packages file that apt uses.  I have a
binary here:

http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/apt-rpm/scripts/

You can also check the makeapt*.sh scripts to see how it and other
gen* programs are used.  The scripts are also from Conectiva, adopted
for local use.  These may be out-of-date so you might want to check
Conectiva for newer ones.

Regards,
-Brett.