SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:44:29 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Where could I find a good comparison of Yum and Apt.

You can try them both and figure out for yourself as they are both on
S.L.  We have tried to be as netral as possible, although for S.L. 3.0.x
on the x86_64 platform, we do not recommend apt as it had problems with
both i386 and x86_64.  We believe this was fixed in S.L. 4.x x86_64
platform.
Also yum is used as the default auto updater, although it can be changed
to apt.  We had to choose one or the other and we chose yum.

So, a good comparison would be do 'man yum' and 'man apt', and then try
their various features.

>I have heard that Apt is better than Yum, is this true?

That's like saying vi is better than emacs, or vice versa.  It really is
a user perference and your just asking for a debate that I really don't
want on this mailling list.  It depends on your taste.  They are both
more than capable of doing their task and more.

On that note, I will say that 2 out of 3 of S.L. major devlopers prefer
yum, the other prefers apt.

I personally am one of the 2 that prefer yum.
I say that yum is better than apt.

> Does anyone know how I could create an apt repository in my hard-disk from
> the  SL installation CDs ( just for me )?

I'm sure someone does.  Since I don't use apt, I don't.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468