SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
Robert Haines <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Haines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 16:11:35 +0100
Hi all,

I'm probably being daft, but I'm stuck.

I need to add ieee1394 (firewire) support into my kernel. I've
downloaded the kernel src.rpm and jumped through all the relevent hoops
to get a source tree. I've made the changes to add ieee1394 modules to
the build and rebuilt. I've installed the modules and the kernel and so
on and rebooted.

It all works fine apart from the fact that openafs is now broken. So I
downloaded the openafs src.rpm and tried to rebuild that in the usual
way but it has kernel-devel as a dependency! kernel-devel doesn't exist
for my custom kernel!

I guess what I really want to do is to just add the relevent ieee1394
modules into my kernel without recompiling the lot (or the kernel
itself). The following message gave me hope, implying that I don't need
a full exploded source tree:
http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0505&L=scientific-linux-users&T=0&F=&S=&P=9900
but left me confused as I can't find the ieee1394 code in the
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-5.0.5.EL-i686 tree anywhere.

So what should I do? I'm after a solution that won't cause me loads of
hassle everytime there's a new kernel released!

Any ideas? This kernel-devel thing has me stumped...

Cheers,
Rob

--
Robert Haines

Research Associate, RealityGrid          Tel. : +44 (0)161 275 6067
Manchester Computing                     Fax. : +44 (0)161 275 6800
University of Manchester                 Email: [log in to unmask]
Oxford Road                              Web  : www.realitygrid.org
Manchester, M13 9PL                           : www.sve.man.ac.uk