SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 09:53:23 -0500
Hi,
I hate to do a 'it works for me' but it is working for me, so I'm having
a hard time diagnosing.

If you do a
   yum clean all

and then try
   yum update

Does it go away?

If it doesn't can you send me the date & time, as well as the IP address
of the machine that is trying to do the update and I'll look through the
ftp logs.

Thanks
Troy

Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> This is what I have on my SL303 machine:
>
> [sl303server]
> name=SL 303 main
> baseurl=ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/303/$basearch/SL/RPMS/
>
> [sl303errata]
> name=SL 303 errata
> baseurl=ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/303/$basearch/errata/SL/RPMS/
>
> [sl303contrib]
> name=SL 303 contributed rpms
> baseurl=ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/303/$basearch/contrib/RPMS/
>
> within /etc/yum.conf, and I still experience the problem reported by Kyriakos
> below.
>
> Michael.
>

>>Hello,
>>I would recommend switching your scripts to point to
>>ftp.scientificlinux.org.  linux21 is currently going through an
>>upgrade,
>>(both hardware and software) and when it is stable, will be the new
>>ftp.scientificlinux.org as it once was. Yes, currently right now it
>>has extrememly fast download times.  But it also might be down for a
>>day or two, and things like what you are showing might show up. Troy
>>
>>Kyriakos G. Ginis wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Lately I have noticed that the nightly yum cronjob on some of our servers
>>>(running SL303) fails with the message:
>>>
>>>--------------------
>>>YUM - errata
>>>--------------------
>>>Damaged or Bad header.info from sl303 errata
>>>This is probably because of a downed server or an invalid header.info on a
>
> repository.
>

>>>Investigating this a bit, I found out that the errors seem to come from
>>>ftp://linux21.fnal.gov, which happens to be one of the servers in the
>>>default /etc/yum.d/yum.cron.secondary file. For example, running yum by
>>>hand with a modified yum.conf pointing at linux21.fnal.gov, this is what
>>>I get:
>>>
>>>[root@aurum 02:34:37 ~ ]# cat /etc/yum.conf
>>>[main]
>>>cachedir=/var/cache/yum
>>>debuglevel=2
>>>logfile=/var/log/yum.log
>>>pkgpolicy=newest
>>>tolerant=1
>>>exactarch=1
>>>
>>>[sl303server]
>>>name=SL 303 main
>>>baseurl=ftp://linux21.fnal.gov/linux/scientific/303/$basearch/SL/RPMS/
>>>
>>>[sl303errata]
>>>name=SL 303 errata
>>>baseurl=ftp://linux21.fnal.gov/linux/scientific/303/$basearch/errata/SL/RPMS/
>>>[root@aurum 02:34:41 ~ ]# yum update
>>>Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
>>>Server: SL 303 errata
>>>Damaged or Bad header.info from SL 303 errata
>>>This is probably because of a downed server or an invalid header.info on a
>
> repository.
>

>>>Has anybody else noticed this?
>>>
>>>Cheers,

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468