SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:59:13 -0500
Hi All - A simple question I think I know the answer to, but want
confirmation on before buying hardware.  I need to buy a workstation
for processing very large format array data, so we'd like to have
a fair amount of RAM on the machine.  SL4.0 has the capability to
handle up to 64GB of physical RAM, correct?  We're planning on putting
4-6GB on this machine, which brings me to the second question.  As I
understand, even with 6GB of RAM, a single process will only be able
to access <4GB of RAM, assuming a 32-bit architecture.  On a 64-bit
machine, more RAM would be available to a single process - does anyone
know what the number is?  And further, how much of the 6GB would be
paged to the kernel in SL4?  Thanks for any info!
-Karl