SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2005

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:22:58 +0100
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Ping Yeh wrote:

>     I have a cluster of Red Hat 7.3 boxes and I'm planning to
> migrate to SL 3.0.4 for now (and SL 4.0 when appropriate).
> However, the documentation on 7.2->SL says I should do a 2-step
> upgrade: first upgrade to RH 9 with CD-ROM, then upgrade to
> SL with yum.  Because I don't have CD-ROM drives on my nodes,
> this is not very convenient.

There's an "upgradeany" option which you can use - at your own risk! -
in this kind of situation if you're attempting a non-preferred
upgrade.  I've experimentally upgraded from RH7.3 directly to SL4 by
that option, but I can't claim any kind of extensive experience with
the result.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for a fresh, clean,
install rather than an upgrade.  User-specific options would generally
be in the users' home file system, and I'm assuming you're not going
to interfere with those file systems (e.g in our case they're mounted
on the actual user stations from a file server).