SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 07:49:56 +0200
Hi Shane,

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Shane Canon wrote:

> I have written a kernel module hotfix for the elf core bug.  If you are
> interested in it, let me know.

I am. Is this a real fix, or does it simply make elf_core_dump() a noop ?

> Also, I have developed a framework for doing kernel hotfixes.  I'm going
> to try to push it through the lab legal/tech transfer group and get it
> public.  The hotfixes will likely be GPL'd given some of the tricks I
> have to pull, but the hotfix framework may use a Modified BSD license.
>
> The framework will allow me to develop packaged hotfixes easily that are
> managed by the framework.
>
> If folks would find this useful, let me know.

This could certainly be useful. How does hotfix determine which ones are
supposed to be loaded? Does the service check periodically? Another
question is about the DKMS dependency: Would this work with binary module
distribution as well? (We don't have kernel-source installed on every
system).

Cheers,
 	Stephan

> - --Shane
>
> Here is an example...
>
> [root@pc2602 root]# hotfix -s
> hotfix: fix elf_core is missing.
> [root@pc2602 root]# hotfix
> elf_core
>                  NAME: elf_core
>                  DESC: Bug in core handler for elf binaries.
>                  DATE: 05/15/2005
>                MODULE: elf_core
>                   REF:
> http://isec.pl/vulnerabilities/isec-0023-coredump.txt
>           DKMS STATUS: elf_core, 0.1, 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELp1smp: installed
>         MODULE STATUS: Not Loaded
> [root@pc2602 root]# /etc/init.d/hotfix start
> Starting up hotfix:     hotfix: load hotfix elf_core
>
> [root@pc2602 root]# hotfix
> elf_core
>                  NAME: elf_core
>                  DESC: Bug in core handler for elf binaries.
>                  DATE: 05/15/2005
>                MODULE: elf_core
>                   REF:
> http://isec.pl/vulnerabilities/isec-0023-coredump.txt
>           DKMS STATUS: elf_core, 0.1, 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELp1smp: installed
>         MODULE STATUS: Loaded
> [root@pc2602 root]#
> [root@pc2602 root]# rpm -qa|grep hotfix
> hotfix-elf_core-0.1-1
> hotfix-0.1-1
>

> Jaroslaw Polok wrote:
>>>
>>> Great news. Is it just due to past experience that you expect an
>>> update for 2.4.21-32.EL rather soon? Or do you already know about
>>> issues with this one? I really really need the support for 2GB block
>>> devices...
>>>

>> The -32.EL does not fix CAN-2005-1263
>> (http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2005-1263)
>> which looks quite seriously.
>>
>> RH told us that they will update kernel 'soon'.

>> I've just asked our on-site AFS support team about these,
>> waiting for the answer now.
>>
>> Jarek
>>
>> __
>> _ Jaroslaw_Polok ___________________ CERN - IT/ADC/LE _
>> _ http://home.cern.ch/~jpolok ___ tel_+41_22_767_1834 _

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |