SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 16:48:56 +0200
Hi Troy,

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I wonder whether there'll be an SL 3.0.5 release now that RHEL3U5 is out?
>>

> Yep, we're working on it right now.  We hopefully will have a beta, that just
> has the newer rpm's in it, out sometime this week.  Though we probrubly won't
> release 305 until the first kernel update comes out.

Great news. Is it just due to past experience that you expect an update
for 2.4.21-32.EL rather soon? Or do you already know about issues with
this one? I really really need the support for 2GB block devices...

>> If so, maybe on this occasion I could sneak in a few more modifications to
>> the openafs packages:
>>

> I was going to ask you about openafs this morning.  Looks like you beat me to
> it.
>
>> - switch to upstream release 1.2.13
>>
>>   [ I'm about to deploy SL3-based AFS fileservers. 1.2.13 has major
>>     bugs fixed on the server side. It also has at least one fix for
>>     lockups on SMP clients. We have been using ist for months here
>>     on both servers and clients (our pre-SL systems), and it has
>>     been very stable. ]
>>
>> - enable configure options bitmap_later, bos_restricted_mode, fast_restart
>>
>>   [ Again, we want bitmap_later and fast_restart for the fileservers.
>>     bos_restricted_mode just adds a little functionality ]
>>

> Do the bitmap_later and fast_restart do anything to the clients?

No, they matter to the fileserver only. The former should be really
harmless, and the latter has to be configured explicitly even if enabled
at build time.

>> - add macros for bos_new_config and full_vos_listvol_switch, and enabled
>>   them
>>
>>   [ Again, just additional options. ]
>>
>> - add optional openafs-debug package with additional tools
>>
>>   [ Useful for debugging/understanding servers and client behaviour,
>>     and in emergencies. Cheap and completely optional. ]
>>

> If this is the same as the extra debug stuff we have in 1.3.xx, I've noticed
> that it builds debug stuff also whenever each kernel module is built.  It's
> not a problem, it's just that I never know which one to put up.  Do you want
> the debug rpm from when I build the smp, or the normal kernel module?  Or
> does it really matter?

Yes, that's the same. It should be built together with the other userland
packages only, though. Are you sure it's not just that -debuginfo stuff
you get "for free" with recent rpm versions? Anyway, I'll check. And if
Jarek or you don't like it, just kick it out.

>> I made a source rpm and put it here:
>>
>> http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~wiesand/SL3/openafs-1.2.13-15.15.SL.src.rpm
>>
>> or
>>
>> /afs/ifh.de/user/w/wiesand/public/www/SL3/openafs-1.2.13-15.15.SL.src.rpm
>>
>> It's based on the SRPM from SL3.0.4 (which seems not to be exactly the one
>> used for building the binary packages, but I think I recreated the few
>> missing changes).
>>

> Thanks.
> We'll see how Jarek feels.  He might have a change or two as well.  But
> unless he has some objections, I'll put this in the beta and we'll see how it
> shakes out.

Fine.

>> This is the rest of the changelog, besides what's described above:
>>
>> - this spec can now be used with --target ia32e, in which case only the
>>   kernel module for this platform will be built
>
> whoo hoo ... thanks.  That really was a pain in the rear.
>
>> - added the livesys & kdump executables to main package
>> - updated CellServDB to today's version from grand.central.org
>
> Also thanks.
>
>> - moved wget requirement from main to client package
>
> Good idea.
> Though I think the one change we might do is see about getting wget out,
> replaced with a real AFS program.  I know Jarek had some good functions but
> we had already set things up last time.  We'll have to give them some testing
> while we're in beta.

The problem is that the *debug executables in 1.2 are broken on
x86_64 (and I'd be very surprised if they worked on ia64). Fixing at least
rxdebug would of course be a good idea, but I'm not sure how much work it
would be.

>> - introduced a macro for additional afsd options (set -dynroot -fakestat
>>   yet)
>> - removed packager tag (much credit for this package still belongs to
>>   Jarek Polok, but he shouldn't be blamed for my changes ;-)
>> - strip "smp" from automatically determined kernel version
>> - added versioned build requirements for kernel and kernel-source
>>
>> This package was successfully built and is currently running on a few test
>> systems under SL 3.0.4 with the latest errata kernel (2.4.21-32.EL), on
>> these architectures: i686/UP, i686/SMP, ia32e, x86_64/SMP .
>>
>> Any opinions?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Stephan
>>

> I'll work on getting it into the beta, unless Jarek has some changes before
> then.

Let's see what I messed up.

> Troy

Cheers,
 	Stephan

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |