SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 15:24:23 +0200
Hi All,

I wonder whether there'll be an SL 3.0.5 release now that RHEL3U5 is out?

If so, maybe on this occasion I could sneak in a few more modifications
to the openafs packages:

- switch to upstream release 1.2.13

   [ I'm about to deploy SL3-based AFS fileservers. 1.2.13 has major
     bugs fixed on the server side. It also has at least one fix for
     lockups on SMP clients. We have been using ist for months here
     on both servers and clients (our pre-SL systems), and it has
     been very stable. ]

- enable configure options bitmap_later, bos_restricted_mode, fast_restart

   [ Again, we want bitmap_later and fast_restart for the fileservers.
     bos_restricted_mode just adds a little functionality ]

- add macros for bos_new_config and full_vos_listvol_switch, and enabled
   them

   [ Again, just additional options. ]

- add optional openafs-debug package with additional tools

   [ Useful for debugging/understanding servers and client behaviour,
     and in emergencies. Cheap and completely optional. ]

I made a source rpm and put it here:

http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~wiesand/SL3/openafs-1.2.13-15.15.SL.src.rpm

or

/afs/ifh.de/user/w/wiesand/public/www/SL3/openafs-1.2.13-15.15.SL.src.rpm

It's based on the SRPM from SL3.0.4 (which seems not to be exactly the
one used for building the binary packages, but I think I recreated the few
missing changes).

This is the rest of the changelog, besides what's described above:

- this spec can now be used with --target ia32e, in which case only the
   kernel module for this platform will be built
- added the livesys & kdump executables to main package
- updated CellServDB to today's version from grand.central.org
- moved wget requirement from main to client package
- introduced a macro for additional afsd options (set -dynroot -fakestat
   yet)
- removed packager tag (much credit for this package still belongs to
   Jarek Polok, but he shouldn't be blamed for my changes ;-)
- strip "smp" from automatically determined kernel version
- added versioned build requirements for kernel and kernel-source

This package was successfully built and is currently running on a few test
systems under SL 3.0.4 with the latest errata kernel (2.4.21-32.EL), on
these architectures: i686/UP, i686/SMP, ia32e, x86_64/SMP .

Any opinions?

Cheers,
 	Stephan

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |