SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:18:41 +1000
Hi John,

> Is some there any way to find out which cards are supported in the
> default installation kernel? Specifically I'm interested in the
> Syskonnect sk-9521 which claims to support Linux and have built-in
> checksumming which I assume should help performance. But if I can't use
> it for a network install (for SL4) then that's a pain.
>
> Whilst on the subject, does anybody have any experience of this card
> or any other (dis)recommendations?

I only recently started looking at gigabit cards for my servers, and it was
recommended to me to go with the Intel PRO 1000 MT cards (or Broadcom cards)
as they took alot of the load off the CPU when running, and worked well with
Linux (ethtool). I originally bought Realtek gigabit cards whcih worked with
Linux but couldn't be monitored by ethtool, which was a problem for me.

I have 4 new cards ready to install and intend on testing them at some stage
over the next week on SL3 and 4. If you're interested I'll let you know my
results.

Michael.