SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
William Roddy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Roddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:12:34 -0500
I'm an avid home user of SL. Now using latest 4x RC. Everything works
beautifully. As a retired, disabled person, I don't have an extensive Linux
code background (you all ASTONISH me"!), but am an accomplished user. SL is
great. I use it on my x86 box. Works perfectly. I even use the latest
OpenOoffice.org2 release candidate. Works very well. Use xine for DVDs, etc.
jre1.5.0_02, a simple install, and latest RealPlayer, also flawless.

I have it on my Dell Inspiron 1150, where everything also works perfectly
(from my usse perspective). The only thing I can't manage (which I use
extensively on the laptop, with Debian-like installs) is ndiswrapper. On
fixed income, can't afford another card. Can't figure out how to make
ndiswrapper work or which components.

Question: Would someone have time to do a detailed, step-by-step install of
ndiswrapper on SL4x, please? It has become important to many, other than
myself, I have read, and is a staple in Debian.

If no one has the extra time, I certainly understand. Thank you for allowing
us to use such a wonderful distribution and for all your hard work on it.

William Roddy
Quincy CA USA