SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 21:58:14 +1000
Hi,

> > When I try to apply the gtk2 update on SL 3.0.3 using yum, I get the
> > following problem:
> >
> > Resolving dependencies
> > ..conflict between gtk2 and librsvg2
> >
> > Any ideas why this would result?
> >

> Yes.  This affects machines upgraded from 3.03 to 3.04.  An error
> message was generated by librsvg2, way back when, during the
> upgrade.
>
> See
> http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0501&L=SCIENTIFIC-
> LINUX- DEVEL&P=R898&I=-3 for a little information about this.  More
> is below.
>
> At the time the error seemed innocuous, now it has come back to bite
> us. The problem seems to be that the upgrade from  librsvg2-2.2.3-2
> to librsvg2-2.2.3-6 had a post install script fail and so both
> versions are left installed.  I think this failure is caused because
> the script tries to run /etc/gtk-2.0/i386-redhat-linux-gnu/gdk-
pixbuf.loaders
> which is now
> /etc/gtk-2.0/i686-redhat-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
>
> Having both versions of librsvg2 installed is innocuous until you
> try to install the latest gtk2 which conflicts with something in the
> older librsvg2.
>
> So what to do?  I have this on about fifty computers.  Here is what
> I am doing -- it's not pretty, but it seems to work.
>
> rpm -q librsvg2  (check you really have two versions installed)

I only had the librsvg2-2.2.3-2 installed.

> rpm -e librsvg2-2.2.3-2
>       (remove the old one -- this generates errors, but works)
>
> rpm -Uvh --force librsvg2-2.2.3-6
>        (Actually we removed some docs we want to keep so re-install
>         the new version.  This generates errors too, but seems ok.)

I decided to remove it anyway and re-install the new version via yum, which
resulted in:

Test transaction complete, Success!
gtk2 100 % done 1/3
librsvg2 100 % done 2/3
/usr/bin/update-gdk-pixbuf-loaders: line 27: /etc/gtk-2.0/i386-redhat-linux-
gnu/gdk-pixbuf.loaders: No such file or directory
error: %post(librsvg2-2.2.3-6) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
Completing update for gtk2  - 3/3
Installed:  librsvg2 2.2.3-6.i386
Dep Installed:  gtk2 2.2.4-15.i386
Transaction(s) Complete

[root@server ~]# rpm -q librsvg2
librsvg2-2.2.3-6

[root@server ~]# rpm -q gtk2
gtk2-2.2.4-15

Well, at least I seem to have both versions installed anyway.

Thanks.

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------