SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Steve Traylen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Traylen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:45:59 +0100
On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 02:13:58PM +0100 or thereabouts, Mark Nelson wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've just upgraded a number of our servers from SL 3.0.3 to SL 3.0.4,
> this was accomplished without any problems.  However the updated rpm for
> named renamed /etc/named.conf to /etc/named.conf.rpmsave, thus disabling
> DNS services for the domain.  However the updated openssh rpm created
> it's new config file (/etc/ssh/sshd_config) as
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config.rpmnew.  We have two packages behaving differently
> when applying the latest updates.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have one behaviour or the other, my personal
> one is for .rpmnew config files as this cuts down on the configuration
> files having to be touched manually by the upgrade process.

Hi Mark,

This depends on the individual .spec file.

If it has

%config(noreplace) /etc/ssh/sshd_config

or

%config /etc/named.conf

gives the different behaviours you have observed.

It is up to the packager to decide which one should happen.

There is a very good summary of the different cases here:

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~jw35/docs/rpm_config.html

  Steve

--
Steve Traylen