SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:41:37 -0500
Mark Nelson wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've just upgraded a number of our servers from SL 3.0.3 to SL 3.0.4,
> this was accomplished without any problems.  However the updated rpm for
> named renamed /etc/named.conf to /etc/named.conf.rpmsave, thus disabling
> DNS services for the domain.  However the updated openssh rpm created
> it's new config file (/etc/ssh/sshd_config) as
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config.rpmnew.  We have two packages behaving differently
> when applying the latest updates.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have one behaviour or the other, my personal
> one is for .rpmnew config files as this cuts down on the configuration
> files having to be touched manually by the upgrade process.
>
> I understand that sometimes configuration files change and have to be
> replaced due to compatability issues and that we want to follow Redhat's
> lead in most cases.
>

> Mark.

Hi Mark,
This is one area where I'm going to have to say "We do what RedHat
does."  And there are several reasons.

First, there is not, and really cannot be, a global "All config files
must be this way" because every program is different.  You stated 2
programs out of thousands.  Each program has it's own reason's why it's
configuration files are the way they are.  If you want to discuss a
particular package and a particular config file, then you need to talk
to the product maintainer.  The easiest way to find this out is to do a
   rpm -q --changelog <package>
and see who has been packaging the product.

Second, if a package comes from RedHat a certain way, we try our best
not to change it.  We're even trying not to change permissions on
anything.  To change the way a configuration file get's installed, would
get more people yelling at us than would help.  Also, once you get your
fingers in the rpm, it's definatly hard to get it out, and that's at
least 3 years of keeping your fingers in the rpm once you get them in there.

Right now, I only have two arguments against it.  Do I agree with you
about that being the wrong setting of the config file.  Ya, probrubly.
But I think the best person to talk to is the maintainer of that package.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468