SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Eric Vaandering <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Vaandering <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:28:36 -0500
Valery Mitsyn wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Eric Vaandering wrote:
>

>>I sent this to the FNAL linux list but was told this list is the better place
>>since I'm using stock SL. Apologies to those who get it twice. There is some
>>new info at the bottom.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Eric
>>

>>-----------------------------------
>>
>>I guess I should start by asking if the RHAPS RPMs are meant to be installed
>>on SL 3.0.4 or if I should use some other base?
>>
>>Here is what happens (somewhat abbreviated). At this point I've already
>>installed the correct j2sdk RPM from Troy's e-mail a few days ago.
>

>  Is j2sdk RPM installed from SUN's binary rpm package? If so, I've had
> a similar problem resently when dial w/ LCG-2.4.0.
>  So here the story. RHEL, SL30X (and SLC30X) have /etc/alternatives
> to dial w/ different rpm w/ the same or compatible contents. java is
> one of this target. rpm's macros for java will always include some
> pre/post script in binary rpm for insert/remove jar/jav* links in
> /etc/alternatives, this is not the case for SUN's rpm.
>  Don't delete links in /usr/bin/jav*, instead run the script in
> attachment. Ahhh, one may have another problem with removing SUN's
> j2sdk rpm from the system, "man alternatives" told me run the some
> script w/ "install" replaced by "remove".
>  Hope this help.

No, the j2sdk is the one downloadable from the SL website, but not in yum. It
is version 1.4.2_07, not _08

Here's the rpm -qi output:

Name        : j2sdk                        Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.4.2_07                          Vendor: Sun Microsystems
Release     : fcs                           Build Date: Sat 15 Jan 2005
02:38:42 PM CST
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host: localhost.localdomain
Group       : Development/Tools             Source RPM: j2sdk-1.4.2_07-fcs.src.rpm
Size        : 67421890                         License: 1994-2001 Sun
Microsystems, Inc.
Signature   : (none)
Packager    : Java Software <[log in to unmask]>
URL         : http://java.sun.com/linux
Summary     : Java(TM) 2 Software Development Kit, Standard Edition
Description :

Thanks,

Eric