SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:04:46 -0600
Jeremy,

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Jeremy Sanders wrote:

> Please excuse me if this is a stupid question. Would it make sense to have
> the xfs filesystem enabled in the default kernel of Scientific Linux 4?

Only problem with changing the default kernel from the standard redhat is
that many just want it to be standard redhat.  That is why we provide the
alternate kernels in contrib.  Users who want default redhat get that and
other users who want alternate kernels can install them if needed.

It is easy to make a site that has a alternate default kernel if you
really need the alternate kernel as the default with out having to install
it yourself.  Note that the installer does NOT know how to make xfs
filesystems during the install.

> As xfs is included in upstream 2.6 kernels, I would naively think that
> enabling it would be fairly easy and would not clash with RedHat's
> modifications. Is this a correct assumption?

Have not tried it.  If you could try it and let us know if this is true
or not that would be very useful.

-Connie Sieh