SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Valery Mitsyn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valery Mitsyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:35:17 +0400
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Eric Vaandering wrote:

> I sent this to the FNAL linux list but was told this list is the better place
> since I'm using stock SL. Apologies to those who get it twice. There is some
> new info at the bottom.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric
>

> -----------------------------------
>
> I guess I should start by asking if the RHAPS RPMs are meant to be installed
> on SL 3.0.4 or if I should use some other base?
>
> Here is what happens (somewhat abbreviated). At this point I've already
> installed the correct j2sdk RPM from Troy's e-mail a few days ago.

 Is j2sdk RPM installed from SUN's binary rpm package? If so, I've had
a similar problem resently when dial w/ LCG-2.4.0.
 So here the story. RHEL, SL30X (and SLC30X) have /etc/alternatives
to dial w/ different rpm w/ the same or compatible contents. java is
one of this target. rpm's macros for java will always include some
pre/post script in binary rpm for insert/remove jar/jav* links in
/etc/alternatives, this is not the case for SUN's rpm.
 Don't delete links in /usr/bin/jav*, instead run the script in
attachment. Ahhh, one may have another problem with removing SUN's
j2sdk rpm from the system, "man alternatives" told me run the some
script w/ "install" replaced by "remove".
 Hope this help.

> [...]
> Test transaction complete, Success!
> jpackage-utils 100 % done 1/11
> xml-commons 100 % done 2/11
> xml-commons-apis 100 % done 3/11
> xerces-j2 100 % done 4/11
> xalan-j2 100 % done 5/11
> xml-commons-resolver 100 % done 6/11
> ant 100 % done 7/11
> Erasing: xalan-j 8/11
> Erasing: xerces-j 9/11
> Completing update for ant  - 10/11
> Erasing: ant-libs 11/11
> Installed:  xalan-j2 2.6.0-1jpp_1rh.noarch
>
> So far, so good (maybe) and yum now installs tomcat5 without a hitch, but it
> won't start it:
>

> [root@vpac29 etc]# /sbin/service tomcat5 start
> Starting tomcat5: /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: could not find jaf
> Java extension for this JVM
> /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: could not find javamail Java extension
> for this JVM
> /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: All detected jars were not found for
> this jvm
>
> Even if I delete the links to not existent files this references, tomcat won't
> start. It says [ OK ], but the process must die immediately and when I restart
> it, it complains there is no process at the pid from the pid file.
>
> Any ideas on getting tomcat running from RHAPS, or should I build from source.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> The problem with links seem to be these:
>
> /usr/share/tomcat5/common/lib/[javamail].jar
> /usr/share/tomcat5/common/lib/[jaf].jar
>
> which point to non-existent files.
>
> For instance if I look at javamail rpms, I get this:
>
> [root@vpac29 lib]# rpm -ql javamail | grep jar
> /usr/share/java/mail-20031006.jar
> [root@vpac29 lib]# yum list "*javamail*"
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: RedHat Application Server rpms
> Server: SL 304 contributed rpms
> Server: SL 304 errata
> Server: SL 304 main
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Looking in Available Packages:
> Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
> ant-javamail                        noarch 1.6.1-1jpp_3rh           rhaps
> javamail                            noarch 1:1.3.1-1jpp_3rh         rhaps
> javamail-demo                       noarch 1:1.3.1-1jpp_3rh         rhaps
> javamail-devel                      i386   20031006-1               sl304server
> javamail-javadoc                    noarch 1:1.3.1-1jpp_3rh         rhaps
> javamail-manual                     noarch 1:1.3.1-1jpp_3rh         rhaps
> javamail-monolithic                 noarch 1:1.3.1-1jpp_3rh         rhaps
>
> Looking in Installed Packages:
> Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
> javamail                            i386   20031006-1               db
>
> So javamail seems to be the right version, but maybe I'm not actually getting

Best regards,
 Valery Mitsyn