SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Eric Vaandering <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Vaandering <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:18:58 -0500
I sent this to the FNAL linux list but was told this list is the better place
since I'm using stock SL. Apologies to those who get it twice. There is some
new info at the bottom.

Thanks,

Eric

-----------------------------------

I guess I should start by asking if the RHAPS RPMs are meant to be installed
on SL 3.0.4 or if I should use some other base?

Here is what happens (somewhat abbreviated). At this point I've already
installed the correct j2sdk RPM from Troy's e-mail a few days ago.

[root@vpac29 etc]# yum install tomcat5
Resolving dependencies
..Package xalan-j needs lib-javax-xml-parsers-2.2.1.so, this is not available.
Package xalan-j needs lib-org-apache-xerces-2.2.1.so, this is not available.
Package xalan-j needs lib-org-w3c-dom-2.2.1.so, this is not available.
Package xalan-j needs lib-org-xml-sax-2.2.1.so, this is not available.

Ok, so these files are probably on the system (they were when I upgraded from
3.0.1) but it doesn't know about them. I notice that in RHAPS there is
xalan-j2, so

[root@vpac29 etc]# yum install xalan-j2
Test transaction complete, Success!
jpackage-utils 100 % done 1/11
xml-commons 100 % done 2/11
xml-commons-apis 100 % done 3/11
xerces-j2 100 % done 4/11
xalan-j2 100 % done 5/11
xml-commons-resolver 100 % done 6/11
ant 100 % done 7/11
Erasing: xalan-j 8/11
Erasing: xerces-j 9/11
Completing update for ant  - 10/11
Erasing: ant-libs 11/11
Installed:  xalan-j2 2.6.0-1jpp_1rh.noarch

So far, so good (maybe) and yum now installs tomcat5 without a hitch, but it
won't start it:

[root@vpac29 etc]# /sbin/service tomcat5 start
Starting tomcat5: /usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: could not find jaf
Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: could not find javamail Java extension
for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: All detected jars were not found for
this jvm

Even if I delete the links to not existent files this references, tomcat won't
start. It says [ OK ], but the process must die immediately and when I restart
it, it complains there is no process at the pid from the pid file.

Any ideas on getting tomcat running from RHAPS, or should I build from source.

Thanks,

Eric

---------------------------------------

The problem with links seem to be these:

/usr/share/tomcat5/common/lib/[javamail].jar
/usr/share/tomcat5/common/lib/[jaf].jar

which point to non-existent files.

For instance if I look at javamail rpms, I get this:

[root@vpac29 lib]# rpm -ql javamail | grep jar
/usr/share/java/mail-20031006.jar
[root@vpac29 lib]# yum list "*javamail*"
Server: RedHat Application Server rpms
Server: SL 304 contributed rpms
Server: SL 304 errata
Server: SL 304 main
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Looking in Available Packages:
Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
ant-javamail                        noarch 1.6.1-1jpp_3rh           rhaps
javamail                            noarch 1:1.3.1-1jpp_3rh         rhaps
javamail-demo                       noarch 1:1.3.1-1jpp_3rh         rhaps
javamail-devel                      i386   20031006-1               sl304server
javamail-javadoc                    noarch 1:1.3.1-1jpp_3rh         rhaps
javamail-manual                     noarch 1:1.3.1-1jpp_3rh         rhaps
javamail-monolithic                 noarch 1:1.3.1-1jpp_3rh         rhaps

Looking in Installed Packages:
Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
javamail                            i386   20031006-1               db

So javamail seems to be the right version, but maybe I'm not actually getting
the right files from that version?