SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:25:42 +0200
On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 13:07, Alex Finch wrote:
>   I overheard from my ATLAS colleagues that certain parts of their software only
> runs on the CERN version of Scientific Linux. If this is true it is exactly what
> we should be trying to avoid.

http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0502&L=scientific-linux-devel&T=0&F=&S=&P=417
?

Agree, such situations need to be avoided, but not at all cost - this
workaround allowed CERN to migrate to SL(C)3. Otherwise large parts of
our production capacity would still be on 7.3, as this was a "blocking"
bug at the time.

The "correct" fix via Red Hat will only arrive with RHE3-U5 (-> SL305),
and according to my reading of the LCG ATF minutes, ATLAS should
actually never have been affected by this (only LHCb).

Regards
jan