SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:38:27 -0500
Howdy,
OK, here's what's happened.  Solution to come, hopefully today.

S.L. 301
   gtk2-2.2.4-4.0
   librsvg2-2.2.3-2

S.L. 302
   gtk2-2.2.4-4.0
   librsvg2-2.2.3-2

S.L. 303
   gtk2-2.2.4-8.1
   librsvg2-2.2.3-2

S.L. 304
   gtk2-2.2.4-12
   librsvg2-2.2.3-6

Now the problem comes with S.L. 304, which is basically RHEL 3 Update 4
They changed BOTH gtk2 and librsvg2 ... rather dramatically.

gtk2 they changed the name of the file
   /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
   /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders-32

Well, that's a problem because librsvg2 had the following in it's post
install script
   gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
BUT ... if gtk2 is updated before librsvg2, then that file isn't there
anymore, so the script fails, and it fails to uninstall, which is
causing headaches.

Now here is another fun problem.  We can't update the librsvg2 first
either.  Why?  Because the startup script for the NEW librsvg2 has
   /usr/bin/update-gdk-pixbuf-loaders i386-redhat-linux-gnu
and the OLD gtk2, does not have that file.  So it's going to fail,
causing the exact same headache, that just looks a little different.

So ... in the end, we can't update librsvg2 first, because it needs the
newer gtk2.  But we can't update the gtk2 first because the old ltbrsvg2
needs the old gtk2.

*sighs*
Troy
p.s. Next person that says we arn't getting our updates out quick enough
get's pointed to this.
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468