SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:58:33 +1000
Hi Meo,

> Connie,
>
> |The RedHat difference between AS and ES is a "marketing"
> difference.
>
> AH.  That's not how it was presented to me.
>
> |Different support.  Both would work the same as it is the same kernel.
>
> I was led to believe the kernels were different.

The only difference between the ES kernel and the AS kernel is that the AS
kernel supports more than 2 CPU's and more than 16Gb of RAM. Everything else
in the OS is the same except for the support options they give you. RedHat
define it here:

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/server/

> |Not sure why you think we would be based on ES.  We are based on AS.
>
> I was also led to believe that AS included
> more, proprietary software.  If that were
> the case, there would be no way to provide
> a full AS clone built from source without
> violating something, somewhere.

That software sits on the extras disks which you can download for both ES
and AS (the exact same ISO).

Michael.