SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:55:50 -0500
John,

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, John Rowe wrote:

> Is this a viable upgrade or should I just reinstall from scratch? The
> install CD doesn't recognise there being a distribution to upgrade, is
> it worth trying yum? I have a fair number of systems to move over to SL.

I suggest a new install.

It is possible to go from 9 to SL3 with yum and then from SL3 to SL4 with
the "installer" upgrade option.  But a new install is so much cleaner.

There is a option that you can pass to the installer that will "upgrade"
anything.  If you want to use it I suggest that you test it before using
it on "Production" systems.

At the "isolinux" boot prompt type

   linux upgradeany

This ignores the check for a "proper" /etc/redhat-release .  Proper in
your case is RHEL3 or RHEL4 or SL3 or SL4.  Since you have 9 the check
fails now.  This option just keeps on going and does not care what is in
/etc/redhat-release

> Thanks
>
> John

-Connie Sieh