SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:48:27 -0500
Ryan Enge wrote:
> Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Ryan Enge wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am wondering if anyone has had the same issue I am currently having
>>> with Kerberos and pre-authentication. When I have preauth enabled for
>>> a user in Kerberos I cannot "su" to that user when I am logged in as
>>> root. Instead I get an error:
>>>
>>> "su: incorrect password"
>>>
>>> And I don't even get a chance to supply a password! (well I shouldn't
>>> have to I'm root), Also the KDC shows this in the error log:
>>>
>>> "preauth (timestamp) verify failure: No matching key in entry
>>> AS_REQ (7 etypes {18 17 16 23 1 3 2}) $IP(88): PREAUTH_FAILED:
>>> $user@$host
>>> for krbtgt/$host@$host, Preauthentication failed"
>>>
>>> If I remove the preauth requirement in the users policy the "su"
>>> works fine. Also Kerberos users are able to login to the machine via
>>> ssh and locally without any problems when preauth is enabled, so it
>>> is specific to "su" when I am root.
>>>
>>> One thing I noticed was that when using SL 3.0.x the "su - $user"
>>> does not talk to the KDC at all (or at least the KDC does not log
>>> it). I also noticed that /etc/pam.d/su are different in the 2
>>> versions and I have tried making them the same with no effect. I have
>>> also tried disabling SELinux and still the same.
>>>
>>> BTW, "su - $user" as root works fine on all my SL 3.0.x and RHEL 3
>>> boxes.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>> Hi Ryan,
>> How are you changing whether to pre-authenticate or not?  In your
>> /etc/krb5.conf?  And if so, which sections?
>>
>> Do you have AFS installed?
>> I have had problems doing kerberos authentication when AFS was
>> installed, and I'm just wondering if it's related.
>>
>> Have you tried turning debug on, for both SL 3.0.x and SL 4.x to see
>> what the difference is there?  I'm finding that it really spits alot
>> of information out.
>>
>> Troy
>

> Hi Troy,
>
> I was changing the pre-authentication in the principals Attributes, i.e.
> kadmin modprinc +requires_preauth $principal.
>
> AFS was not installed on this machine, so I don't think it is related.
>
> I set "debug = true" in the [appdefaults] section of the krb5.conf on
> the client, is there somewhere else I can add debug info? It doesn't
> seem to log anything in messages or secure when I try "su - $user" as root.
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Ryan

Yes, you need to add

# Save debug messes to debug.log
*.debug                                           /var/log/debug.log

to /etc/syslog.conf and restart syslog.   (/etc/init.d/syslog restart)

Actually you can have it go to any file you want, but you might want to
not have it in messages, because it really spits out alot.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468