SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:50:31 -0500
Hi,

Gregory Harris wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been testing SL4-RC2 and I've noticed a few minor problems (at
> least for our users) that were carried in from my testing on fedora core
> 3.  Feel free to take or leave any of the fix RPMS I've made:
>
> First, the eggcups printing notification has been arguably busted from
> FC3 onward, mostly because of a fundamental change in the way printing
> operations are handled.  If you don't configure your cups server to
> allow any anonymous user to query all the jobs on the print server
> (which we think is a security concern), the job status will not be
> returned and the job will show up with an "unknown" status.  There is
> also no button to clear the job queue, so jobs stack up indefinitely.
> Because of these reasons, I contend that this feature is arguably
> busted, and choose to disable the eggcups panel icon completely.  I do
> this with the following RPM and SRPM I've created:
>
> http://www.math.ku.edu/os/rhel4_addons/SL_disable_print_notification-1.0-2.noarch.rpm
>
> http://www.math.ku.edu/os/rhel4_addons/SRPMS/SL_disable_print_notification-1.0-2.src.rpm

Very nice.  I have to say that at work, where we have our own printing
stuff, I have wanted to do this for a while.
I've looked through the source and this looks like a very straight
forward way to do impliment this.
I think we can get it into the 4.0 release.  It won't be installed by
default, but it will be in the list of things you can install if you
pick it.

> Second, terminal emulation when using gnome-terminal is broken.  Parts
> of lines 'stick' to the screen when scrolling in nano, mutt, ispell, and
> possibly other programs.  Redhat apparently doesn't think it's a problem
> since they have provided no fix for either FC3 or RHEL4.  I obtained the
> following RPMS/SRPMS from rawhide to fix the problem:
>
> http://www.math.ku.edu/os/rhel4_addons/vte-0.11.12-1.el4.i386.rpm
> http://www.math.ku.edu/os/rhel4_addons/vte-devel-0.11.12-1.el4.i386.rpm
> http://www.math.ku.edu/os/rhel4_addons/SRPMS/vte-0.11.12-1.el4.src.rpm

I talked with Connie about this.  Since this is a standard program,
we're a little leary about putting into the initial release.  We'll
stick it into contrib for 4.0, and then if RedHat hasn't fixed it by
Update 1, then we'll work on getting it into 4.1.
Remind us when that time comes.

> Third, I just wanted to mention to anyone using MATLAB that the
> MathWorks still haven't fixed MATLAB (as of R14SP2) to where it runs
> smoothly on linux 2.6 kernels.  In order for it to run properly you will
> need to create a script to start MATLAB that sets the following
> environment variables:
>
> export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
> export BLAS_VERSION=libmwrefblas.so

Thanks for the heads up.

> Fourth, In the Gnome Volume Control, I'm currently investigating if
> there is a way package up an RPM to remove the mute on the headphones
> and the cdplayer volumes since they are muted by default when a user
> logs in.  I'll post to the list if/when I come up with an RPM to do this.

I sorta think that's funny, cuz on the KDE side, at least for my xmms,
the volumes are at their max.  (Could just be my home area, I haven't
really checked.)

> Other than these things, SL4 RC2 runs great.  Thanks!
>
> Greg

Glad to hear it.

Thanks
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468