SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2005

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:43:38 +0100
Hi

> I'm a little concerned about the AUTO being on for the cache.  I know
> alot of folks here at Fermi don't have /usr/vice/cache as a seperate
> partition, especially on the desktop machines.  This basically turns AFS
> off for them until they edit the file.
> So I'm really wondering just how many people really do use a separate
> parittion for their afs cache.
> On a related note, just how much disk will AUTO take?

All space available on a partition ... unfortunately

> If we move the cache to /var/cache (which I think is logical), I often
> have /var on it's own partition, but that's so my log files don't fill
> things up.  If afs grabs the whole partition, then my log files start
> getting starved.

Unfortunately this is really forseen to be used when /usr/vice/cache
is separate partition: putting auto while cache is only a part of
another partition will lead to errors I believe:
- afsd calculates cache space on startup and it seems it does
not re-adjust it later: so if part of the space gets used by sthg
else one will see 'funny' errors about not being possible to
store file on afs etc etc ..

I believe that putting there 50000 or 100000 instead of AUTO
would be better default ...

Cheers

Jarek