SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:38:33 -0600
Hi Stephan and Jarek,
Thank you thank you.

I have compiled openafs-1.3.79-3.SL.src.rpm and it looks like it works
for the most part.  I think I agree with Stephan on making a spec file
that is just for the 2.6 kernel.  It makes for a cleaner spec file.

I am currently testing on a single cpu machine.  I can startup, read,
write.  I cannot shutdown.  It's getting stuck on the umount /afs.  I'm
looking into this more.

I like Jarek's fix to get rid of wget from the startup script.  I
haven't tried it against the whole CellServDB, but it's worked on all
the machine's I have tried it against thus far.

I have tried the aklog, and it seems to work.

Yes, the new kernel modules do seem to build faster.

Oh, for x86_64, the rebuild is not going as cleanly as the i386 rebuild
did.  Hopefully we'll have it by the end of the week.

I've been building the openafs on a CentOS x86_64 build, and found that
the openafs-SL-krb5-configure-amd64.patch isn't going in a cleanly as is
needed.  It's basically getting wiped out somewhere along the way,
though it LOOKS like it's there after doing an rpmbuild -bp.

I'm a little concerned about the AUTO being on for the cache.  I know
alot of folks here at Fermi don't have /usr/vice/cache as a seperate
partition, especially on the desktop machines.  This basically turns AFS
off for them until they edit the file.
So I'm really wondering just how many people really do use a separate
parittion for their afs cache.
On a related note, just how much disk will AUTO take?
If we move the cache to /var/cache (which I think is logical), I often
have /var on it's own partition, but that's so my log files don't fill
things up.  If afs grabs the whole partition, then my log files start
getting starved.

Troy

Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> Hi Jarek,
>
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Jaroslaw Polok wrote:
>
>> TaDa (or almost ;-)) !
>>
>> It is there:
>>
>> /afs/cern.ch/project/linux/dev/afs/openafs-1.3.79-1.SL.src.rpm
>

> I built upon this one.
>
>> I have been able to try it out on Fedora Core 3 (2.6.10-1.760_FC3) at
>> home: seems it is working against our cern.ch cell with krbIV.
>>
>> Problems:
>>
>> - openafs-krb5 have not been built (compile errors ?) -> I used the same
>> package we had in 1.2.11 - IŽll try to have a look at this later ..
>> (option krb5support defined as 0 in spec file for now)
>

> I was able to fix this after googling the mailing lists for a while
> (see openafs-krb5-SL4.patch). I'm afraid the fixes are specific to SL4
> (different krb5 version). The result is in
>
>    /afs/ifh.de/user/w/wiesand/public/www/SL4/openafs-1.3.79-2.SL.src.rpm
>
> which also makes it accessible as
>
>    http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~wiesand/SL4/openafs-1.3.79-2.SL.src.rpm
>
> Other than the krb5 fixes there are close to no changes:
>
>   - removed wget requirement (no longer used in init script)
>   - added livesys executable to main package
>
>> - so far it hasn been built on x86_64/ia64/ia32e (but in *theory* it
>> shall..): please try on SL 4 ...
>

> I could build the userland packages, but failed to build a kernel module
> package (on an SMP system). It would either put the UP module into
> 2.6.9-5.0.3.ELsmp and the SMP one into 2.6.9-5.0.3.ELsmpsmp. Building
> with 'define kernel 2.6.9-5.0.3.EL' made it build packages with the
> right names, but the ELsmp one now contained a UP Module...
>
> So I created another release, doing away with all that redhat-buildsys
> black magic. After all, they finally got this right and now make
> kernel[-smp]-devel packages with everything included one needs for
> building modules for a certain kernel, without copying .configs and
> making oldconfig for each kernel flavour. These are fairly lean and have
> no further requirements, so having them all installed on a build system
> is no problem. With this one,
>
>   "rpmbuild"
>      will produse the userland packages (on x86 only;
>      on x86_64 and ia 64 it should still build a kernel module as
>      well)
>   "rpmbuild --target i686"
>      will produce the kernel module package for the running kernel only
>      (either SMP or UP, whatever's running)
>   "rpmbuild --target i686 --define 'kernel 2.6.9-5.0.3.EL'"
>      will build the kernel module for exactly that kernel
>
> I added a BuildRequires for the right kernel-devel package. The modules
> build quite fast (looks like openafs-1.3 disentangled the module and
> userland builds way better than 1.2), so I think it's not a disadvantage
> to have to run two rpmbuilds for each kernel version.
>
> I think this should work on x86_64 (the ia32e kernels are gone with SL4)
> and ia64 as well, but of course I can't check that yet. Anyway, it's
> *much* simpler to understand and maintain.

> [...]

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468