SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:58:16 +0100
Dear Troy (and other AFS package developers),

First, it looks as though the LC_ALL fix from Jarek did not make it into
the package (since the file afs.rc.linux-1.2.11 in the modified tarball is
not what gets installed).

Once at it, I have a couple of proposals for changes/enhancements.
I'll gladly provide a modified spec featuring whatever will be accepted:

- Shouldn't the default afsd options be changed from the spec instead
   of in the tarball ?

- Shouldn't /etc/sysconfig/afs be %config(noreplace)?

- Shouldn't we go for 1.2.13? I think there's at least one fix for
   deadlocks on SMP clients in there.

- Shouldn't openafs-client require wget, since that's used in the
   init script?

- There are two fileserver implementations: The one installed by default
   which is using pthreads, and one using LWP (AFS' "lightweight process"
   implementation) which is built (in src/viced) but not installed by
   default.

   The former one is supposed to be a bit faster, but rumour says the
   latter one may be a bit more stable (all I know for sure is that we
   are using the LWP version on our linux file servers, and it *is*
   stable - I haven't tried the pthreaded one yet).

   I propose to package both of them (as fileserver.{pt|lwp}) and make
   fileserver a link (to fileserver.pt, for backward compatibility).

- The following configure options are foreseen to be activated in the
   spec, but they're all off, and I think they should be on:

   --enable-bitmap-later

      This delays vnode bitmap creation by the fileserver until a volume
      is accessed the first time, instead of creating them all when the
      volumes are attached (during fileserver startup). I think most
      sites are using this on their fileservers nowadays.

   --enable-fast-restart

      This does not change the default fileserver behaviour in any way,
      but allows adding -DontSalvage to the salvager options for an fs
      instance. Corrupted volumes will be taken offline upon attach, to
      be salvaged manually later on.

   --enable-bos-restricted-mode

      Again, this just adds a runtime option but does not affect default
      behaviour.

- The following configure options are not foreseen to be activated in the
   spec, but I think they should, and they should be on:

   --enable-full-vos-listvol-switch

      Adds a "-format" switch to the "vos listvol" and "vos examine"
      commands (complete & parseable output). I really need this...

   --enable-bos-new-config

      I haven't used this yet, but I may want to eventually (bosserver
      will read BosConfig.new upon restart, if it exists).

- The "livesys" executable should at least be packaged. Probably the
   "sys" executable should be replaced by a (hard) link to livesys.

- The %pre script in openafs-compat will rm-rf /usr/afsws if it exists,
   and I think it shouldn't do that.

- There's a number of additional tools for tuning, debugging and recovery.
   Most of them are built during a normal "make", but not installed by
   "make dest". A few have to be built explicitly.

   I propose collecting these in /usr/afs/debug and packaging them into
   a new "openafs-debug" package. Most of us will hopefully never need
   it, but once you do it's not the time for finding out how to get to
   them.

And by the way, I recently learned about "cell aliases". These are meant
to act like symlinks like "/afs/openafs.org -> oao" in root.afs, so sites
relying on such a link for their cell can use dynroot. It's getting
better: this allows emulating arbitrary symlinks (there may be some
limits, but everything I tried worked). These aliases are set with
"fs newalias", or read from /usr/vice/etc/CellAlias (contains lines in
the form "<target> <alias>", like "fnal.gov/common/usr usr).

Hence my last proposal is adding such a file, with some comments
explaining how to use it.

I know this looks like a lot of changes, but the only one that actually
changes default behaviour affects fileservers only (is anyone using the
SL server packages for production servers yet?).

Cheers,
 	Stephan

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |