SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2004

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:47:31 +0000
I hope this won't turn out to be too naive: I'm confronted with a
USB/2.0 cardbus adapter which works fine in Win/XP, but I don't know
what to do in SL.  (The laptops' own USB ports are /1.1)

If I simply stuff the card into the laptop while SL is running, then
the laptop's keyboard and mouse stop responding in any way.  When I
withdraw it again, the log shows:

 cs: socket de6a1000 timed out during reset.  Try increasing setup_delay.

and then SL continues as normal.

If, on the other hand, I try to boot-up with the card inserted, then
the boot-up goes past the "Checking for new hardware" step without
comment, but after "Starting pcmcia" it says:

 Socket status: 30000020

and then nothing further happens.  Unless/until I eject the card, in
which case I get a message similar to the "timed out during reset" one
above, and the boot-up then continues, apparently normally.

(If it's relevant, I -do- have the kernel-unsupported RPM installed.)

The accompanying CD includes some source code for drivers for "Linux",
but no instructions whatever (nor Makefile etc.) - here's an overview:

# pwd
/mnt/cdrom/USB 2.0 CardBus Adapter/USB 2.0 CardBus Adapter _drv/Linux

# ls *

ehci1:
ehci-dbg.c  ehci-hcd.c  ehci-mem.c  ehci-sched.c  hub.h
ehci.h      ehci-hub.c  ehci-q.c    hcd.h

ohci:
hcd.h  hub.h  usb-ohci.c  usb-ohci.h

These seem to resemble the source that's found in the SL source at:

 /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL/drivers/usb/host/

but is not identical.

The product is evidently PCMUSB20A referenced here:
http://www.bona.com.tw:8888/download-PCMCIA.htm

I'm wondering whether it's feasible to use this device under SL and,
if so, how I'm meant to go about it (feel free to refer me to RTFM,
but at the moment I can't seem to find instructions on dealing with
third party source of this kind - the previous third-party kernel
modules that I've built have come with instructions and Makefiles).