SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2004

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:11:01 +0000
Way back On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> I use a "6in1" USB-connected media reader (compact flash,
> smart-media etc.).  For this to be used successfully, it's necessary
> to add to /etc/modules.conf the line:
>
>  options scsi_mod max_scsi_luns=4

[...]

> When the 6in1 device is plugged-in, the hotplug routines actually
> recognise one of the four devices (the memstick) and automatically
> arrange a mount point for it in /etc/fstab.  I'd like to find out
> how to extend this to the other three devices, but as yet I've not
> found the spot.

OK, I *have* now found the spot.  I was looking in "man hotplug" and
getting nowhere :-{

In fact, I now know that one should see "man updfstab" and
/etc/updfstab.conf [.default]

By adding entries to /etc/updfstab.conf , I can get automatic mount
point and fstab entries for the other devices, e.g

device cflash {
    partition 1
    match   hd CFC
}

There's SMC and MMC needed too (for this particular media reader), if
you want the full set.  These designations show up on the gnome
"hardware browser", with entries like:

  Model: Generic USB Storage-CFC

, as well as in /proc/scsi/scsi

Hope this helps someone else.  As usual in linux, it all seems
straightforward once you've found it, but until you know where to
look, it's a mystery.