SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2004

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:49:57 +0100
Hi Troy,

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Hello,
> We've had some problems with the installer and the Nocona (ie. the Xeon
> processor with the 64 bit extensions and 5 different names) because the
> kernel
> for it is the ia32e kernel (kernel-2.4.21-20.EL.ia32e.rpm) but the installer
> also installs a kernel-smp kernel, wich is a x86_64 kernel.  And by default,

Funny. It's not doing this on my Prescott. Now, is it clever enough to
install nothing but the right kernel on this system, or dumb enough not to
realize that an SMP kernel makes sense on a UP system with HT enabled?

> it wants to boot the smp kernel.
>
> There is no ia32e smp kernel, because by default, all of RedHat's ia32e
> kernels are smp ... so they figured they didn't have to make a regular and a
> smp kernel, just the one.  But that has caused alot of headache.

Well, there is no such thing as a non-SMP EM64T system since they all
have hyperthreading. If they just had kept the "smp" in the version...

Cheers,
        Stephan

> Anyway ... try just booting into the non-smp kernel, and see if your machine
> runs.  If it does, you probrubly should remove the smp kernel, cuz that will
> just continue to mess things up.
>
> Troy
>
> Perret Yannick wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> we've got some new machines, which are Intel Xeon "Nocona".
>>
>> These processors are supposed to be similar to the Opteron ones,
>> with the support for 64 and 32 bits instructions.
>> By the way, the /proc/cpuinfo for these machines (installed with
>> SL in 3.02) gives
>> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
>> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm lm
>> The last one is for "long mode" with is supposed to be be the
>> 32+64 bits mode.
>>
>> I manage to install both a SL 3.02 and a SL 3.03 in 32 bits for
>> these machines, but the 64 bits install failed.
>> I use the x86_64 scheme for that, all all is fine (PXE boot
>> on the x86_64 boot kernel, anaconda installation...) until the
>> machine reboots.
>> At this point the kernel starts to load and crashes after a
>> 'kernel panic'. The only message I can see is a dump of the
>> execution stack...
>>
>> Does someone met the same problem ? Is it the good arch
>> to use (x86_64) ?
>> It is not really important as they are used in 32 bits at this
>> time, but I don't like that :o)
>>
>> Thank.
>>
>> --
>> Yannick Perret
>

> --
> Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
> Fermilab  ComputingDivision/CSS  CSI Group

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |