SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2004

From:
Perret Yannick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:27:57 +0100
Bly, MJ (Martin) wrote:

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>(...)
>>>

>>Ok, thank. I will have a look to the current release of our BIOS to see
>>if I can
>>update that. I will also add this kernel option into the %post script in
>>order
>>to see if it solve the problem.
>>By the way we never met that problem with our opterons :o)
>>

>Yannick,
>
>I think it is a board-specific problem - the motherboard I have is an early
>one and my guess is the bios writers didn't have enough experience of
>linux/64bit when they wrote the bios.  Now they know...  I guess it could be
>a commom fault for a particular brad of bios.

I will check the BIOS soon.
By the way I changed the grub.conf so that it uses the 'idle=poll'. The
newly installed
machine behave now in a different way:
after GRUB, the kernel starts to boot... and the machine reboots.
It seems that this option is not the good one for me :o)

I will check with the BIOS update (if any).

Regards,
--
Yannick