SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2004

From:
Perret Yannick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:19:28 +0100
Stephan Wiesand wrote:

> Hi Yannick,
>
> we have no Noconas yet (and I hope we'll have more Opterons than those,
> although they'll be hard to avoid), but 3.0.3/x86_64 works fine on my
> P4 (Prescott) with 925X chipset (a Dell precision 370).
>
> The only quirk is that there's no right kernel-module-openafs for the
> ia32e kernel package (which is SMP, despite the fact that RH dropped
> the "-smp" from the name). Repackaging the one from
> kernel-module-openafs-2.4.21-20.ELsmp-1.2.11-15.9.SL.x86_64
> into a kernel-module-openafs-2.4.21-20.EL-1.2.11-15.9.SL.ia32e
> works well.
>
> What exactly is your hardware? And have you tried 3.0.3 as well, or
> just 3.0.2 ?

These machines are NEC ones, with 2GB, dual Intel Xeon at 2.8 GHz,
and SATA disks.

I tried SL 3.02 and 3.03, and in both cases the problem is exactly the
same: the final kernel crashes during its boot, after a complete
installation
without problems.

I should try to log into the shell given by anaconda during installation
to check what is really installed...