SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2004

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:01:37 -0600
Hello,
Because of the confusion sometimes associated with the x86_64 architechture,
we're made a new SL_ rpm that hopefully will make things easier.  This rpm
makes it so that when you do a rpm query, it shows the arch along with the
name of the rpm.

So where you would usually get the following

   $ rpm -q kernel mozilla
   kernel-2.4.21-15.0.2.EL
   mozilla-1.7.3-LTS3x.1

You would then get

   $ rpm -q kernel mozilla
   kernel-2.4.21-15.0.2.EL.ia32e
   mozilla-1.7.3-LTS3x.1.x86_64

This change is global, so it affects all users.  It also is reversable.
Basically install the rpm if you want the feature.  If you don't want the
feature, you remove the rpm, and it goes away.

It will eventually make it into all the Update area's, so you will be able to
install it via yum or apt, but for now we wanted a little more testing.  It
currently is at

ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/30rolling/x86_64/contrib/RPMS/systemutils/SL_rpm_show_arch-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

Give it a try, see how you like it.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468