SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

October 2004

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:42:34 -0500
John Franks wrote:
> When doing an upgrade from 3.0.2 to 3.0.3 I noticed that my
> /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron is not replaced (which is good), but a
> new version is placed in /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron.rpmnew.  The
> problem is that yum.cron.rpmnew is executable and in cron.daily so
> it will get run by cron (in addition to the local yum.cron).
>
> I believe if it were not executable it would not be run, but I haven't
> tested this and I may be wrong.
>
> Also, my personal preference would be to have the new /etc/yum.conf
> installed as /etc/yum.conf.rpmnew rather than overwriting the local
> yum.conf.  But I understand others may differ.

Hi John,
The cron.daily (and cron.hourly and weekly) all have been coded to ignore
*.rpmnew and *.rpmsave.
It does make you nervous when you see this, yes, so I understand your
apprehension.  But don't worry, it's been seen and tested, and both of them
will not be run.  Only the /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron
Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468