SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

October 2004

From:
Dashamir Hoxha <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:01:08 +0200
On Friday 22 October 2004 23:23, you wrote:
> > Also, since I have some linux experience, maybe I can help somehow
> > in making SL better. The first idea that comes to my mind is why not
> > add some scientific packages to SL, to make it more scientific?
> > I have in mind Quantian (http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html)
>
> We accept "contrib" items.  See the SL.releasenote for what needs to be
> done.

OK, I have just seen it. Actually, it doesn't seem like a lot of work.
The problem is that I don't know yet how to prepare RPMs,
but I guess that I can learn it easily.

So, first I will try to install Quantian (boot it from HDD instead of DVD)
and see what these scientific packages are.

Next I will learn how to prepare RPMs.

After that I will get the source of those scientific packages and try to
compile them and prepare RPMs. Since I have installed SL CERN,
somebody may have to try them in order to make sure that they
work in SL as well.

The last step is to follow the rules in SL.releasenote for contributing
packages.

Also I may try to contribute any other packages that are not considered
as scientific but may be usefull. For example, I have experience with
installing exim[1]  and MailScanner[2] in RedHat9, maybe some packages
about them would be usefull.

Regards,
Dashamir Hoxha

Footnotes:
[1] exim is a MTA which is better than sendmail
[2] MailScanner scans emails for viruses