SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

October 2004

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:17:32 -0500
Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I noticed that the 3.0.3 release comes with a number of 32bit packages
> a la Red Hat.
>
> After having found out how to deal with them with RPM and YUM by appending
> .arch to the package name on the command line (is this documented
> anywhere? I learned about it in some mailing list only...), this is still
> ugly but usable.
>
> Is this the way forward now regarding 32bit compatibility?
>
> Cheers,
>         Stephan

It is a step in the way forward.  It definatly is much better than not having
the i386 rpm's in the x86_64.

I haven't had to install i386 rpm's where there was a x86_64 bit rpm as well,
so I haven't had to do the trick you are talking about.

I do know that yum will get the appropriate i386 library or support file if
the package you are getting needs it.  Such as if you are installing openoffice.

Since I haven't had to install anything specifically ... what is the yum
syntax to install a i386 rpm instead of it's x86_64 counterpart?

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468