SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2004

From:
Burt Holzman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Burt Holzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:55:53 -0400
csieh wrote:
>>It's always been that way.  As far back as RedHat 7.  Beyond that, I don't
>>know because I used to use Slackware.  If you look at the
>>glibc-kernheaders version number, you'll see they don't even match the
>>initial kernel that comes with that distribution.  Not your fault.
>>RedHat's been doing this since I started using RedHat many moons ago.

> I guess I have updated kernels many times and then rebuilt them and not
> had to make these links.

I also haven't had this problem and have rolled many, many kernels over
the years.  And I don't advise to follow Ken's procedure:

Applications in userland should not link against the headers in the
kernel source.  What is important for them is the kernel headers that
glibc was linked against, which is why that is what's included and also
why it probably doesn't match your running kernel.  I seem to recall
quite a few rants on lkml about this.

- B