SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2004

From:
Perret Yannick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:28:53 +0200
csieh wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Perret Yannick wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I installed many SL302 using PXE on dual-opteron machines (i386).
>>I never met troubles (it is v20z dual-opteron, and e325 IBM dual-opteron).
>>
>>I'm now trying to install SL302 i386 on a dual-opteron (motherboard
>>Rioworks HDAMA, with BIOS up-to-date).
>>The installation using PXE failed after vmlinuz/initrd loading with
>>the error message "Failed to free base memory".
>>I then try to install using the 1st CD of the SL302, with the boot option
>>"text ks" at the prompt.
>>In this case the kernel starts well, and download well the kickstart file
>>given by the DHCP option (the file is good). It then mounts the NFS
>>repository for the SL302-i386 (confirmed by the console messages)
>>but claimed that the /mnt/sources/.../Stage2.img does not match the
>>current version.
>>

>>So what ?
>>
>>My questions are:
>>- why the PXE vmlinuz/initrd failed to start ?
>>- if the CD kernel boots, it means that the PXE one is not the same ?
>>- why does anaconda complains about the different version between
>>Stage2 and current version ? The SL302-i386 repository was build
>>using the ISO images of the SL302, so I do not understand why
>>versions are differents...
>>

>So by first CD you mean the iso image that is about 640MB in size vs the
>/images/SL/boot.iso which is about 3MB in size .

Yes. Of course the "initrd" is certainly more complete on the CD than on
the PXE, but
in my case the kernel even not starts to boot. The error seems to be
just at the end of PXE job
or just at the begining of kernel boot.
And I'm not speaking about boot.iso but about the kernel
.../pxeboot/vmlinuz.

But maybe it is not a kernel problem but a PXE one (but we manage to
perform other PXE
installation on these machines, so PXE is supossed to be supported).

>Can you send me the exact message about what area that it is complaining
>about.  I assume this is the base /SL/base area and not a
>sites/<site>/base area.  If it is a site you have to add the "site" stanza
>to your boot line
>
> linux ks site=<site>

Yes. I'm using the "SL" distribution. And in my case the SL302/i386
repository is extracted
from the ISO of the 3 CDs of the SL302 (the CD I'm booting on).