SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2004

Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:21:49 -0500
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Perret Yannick wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed many SL302 using PXE on dual-opteron machines (i386).
> I never met troubles (it is v20z dual-opteron, and e325 IBM dual-opteron).
>
> I'm now trying to install SL302 i386 on a dual-opteron (motherboard
> Rioworks HDAMA, with BIOS up-to-date).
> The installation using PXE failed after vmlinuz/initrd loading with
> the error message "Failed to free base memory".
> I then try to install using the 1st CD of the SL302, with the boot option
> "text ks" at the prompt.
> In this case the kernel starts well, and download well the kickstart file
> given by the DHCP option (the file is good). It then mounts the NFS
> repository for the SL302-i386 (confirmed by the console messages)
> but claimed that the /mnt/sources/.../Stage2.img does not match the
> current version.

> So what ?
>
> My questions are:
> - why the PXE vmlinuz/initrd failed to start ?
> - if the CD kernel boots, it means that the PXE one is not the same ?
> - why does anaconda complains about the different version between
> Stage2 and current version ? The SL302-i386 repository was build
> using the ISO images of the SL302, so I do not understand why
> versions are differents...

So by first CD you mean the iso image that is about 640MB in size vs the
/images/SL/boot.iso which is about 3MB in size .

Can you send me the exact message about what area that it is complaining
about.  I assume this is the base /SL/base area and not a
sites/<site>/base area.  If it is a site you have to add the "site" stanza
to your boot line

 linux ks site=<site>

-Connie Sieh